Wednesday, April 13, 2011

DAMN BUDGET CUTS

I am very upset to have learned that Obama was unsuccessful to save the pell grant program.  Even though this program does not have an effect on me simple because I do not qualify for it, but I do have several friends that will be affected by this particular budget cut.  This upsets me because from my understanding, America wants our Americans to be educated, yet the government decides to make it more difficult to pay for tuition.  This will discourage students to continue to go to school because it is too expensive.  The students will either not be able to afford it, or will get a loan and be in debt once they graduate.  NOBODY will be thrilled to know that once they graduate they will be in the hole already in debt.
                While I am surfacing the education perspective of the budget cuts, I want to discuss our teachers.  It is very upsetting to know that teachers are being laid off! WHAT THE F**K!  Does the government understand that laying off teachers will hurt our future (the children)?  A 1:30 teacher-student ratio is totally unacceptable!  When there are more children in the classroom, it makes it extremely difficult to have one on ones with students.  This makes it difficult to give the students in the classroom the special attention they need.  The future does not look too bright if we cannot provide the students with the proper learning environment.  Meaning, laying off our teachers should not be an option.  That sounds so damn stupid to me!  Never in my life would laying off teachers come to mind for any type of solution.
                I learned that Obama was able to reverse many of the cuts that were passed by the Republicans in February when the chamber passed a bill slashing more than this $60 billion.  Also, the White House protected the Head Start learning program (I wonder if they have enough teachers).  The Republicans wanted to cut $1 billion in grants for community health centers and $500 million from biomedical research at the National Institutes of Health.  I am really sensitive to the health and education issues when it comes to budget cuts.  This budget cut nonsense frightens me…I don’t know what to expect.  All I can do is hope and pray that the cuts will not have a negative effect on my life.  

1 comment:

  1. No matter how much I try I can't figure out why our politicians can't see the ludicrousness of these cuts!
    cutting school money
    cutting teachers
    cutting gov. assistance programs
    whats next?! I fear for our future. . . Well written and informative post

    ReplyDelete